Monday, April 29, 2019

Week 13 - Post A - Advertising Examples

I chose a few authors to see how they are using their social media platforms to soft sell or a blatant sell.

Candice Kumai - She uses Twitter on a regular basis. She posts many clips of her on TV and others about her books and food and wellness programs. She uses photos, videos, quotes, and every several posts she has a call to action using words such as "Flash Sale". She has a large following so I'm guessing this type of engaging with her fans she is getting sales. I do like the images she uses with a nice photo and just a bit of text. Maybe she read the .PDF's for class this week!

Bob Pacilio - Bob utilizes Facebook. He wrote a book about Moonlight Beach so his photos are of the views. He also takes photos of the bookstores on 101 in Encinitas who carry his book. He is not shy about using a call to action, urgency, and low supply of his books to make the last few sales. Very clever and unashamed about constantly making an offer to his followers. He even asks his tribe to place orders so he can buy another round of books from the publisher.

Jesse Gardner - HeySoul.com. I met Jesse at a neighborhood "marketplace" and learned of her "Soul boxes". She names them such as "Calm" and sources products to create an inspired calm gift box. Her Twitter is outdated but, her Facebook has more activity. She posts images with quotes and wise sayings and has the sale prices for her different boxes underneath. Actually, very smart. I don't feel sold just interested to find out what might be in the latest themed box.

When I am on Facebook, a lot of ads will pop up on the side of the page. Images with only the name of the company at the bottom are intriguing to me. I remember I saw a pair of pumps at Nordstrom's that I liked. Every time since when I would go on FaceBook an ad for those shoes popped up. Kind of creepy. Must admit I eventually bought the shoes. I think major companies do fairly subtle ads like that whereas my speaker/podcast/course creator friends are much pushier. Also, there are a lot of Realtors who blanket FaceBook with a picture of themselves and their listings. That is annoying. I'm a Realtor but, I'm not looking to buy a house. Maybe, they could push it out through the Audience Insights.

With the various advertising available I am probably more so exposed to it through radio, then TV. Online ads are easy to skip over and there is so much reading to be done. If an ad is attractive and not in my face like a simple graphic with a nice looking product and a "suggestion" to buy, I'll pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 17 - Post A - Final

As I mentioned several times throughout the semester, I am a reluctant social media person. When I started my radio show in 2002 at a tradit...